Visit the most emblematic mountain of Catalonia
Montserrat is a mountain, a unique Natural Park, and a massive rock over 4000 feet high, visible for miles, with weird shapes and rounded peaks that jut into the sky; there are paths, stairs, caves, chapels and hermitages scattered over the mountain, extraordinary landscapes and wonderful views.
Montserrat is a Benedictine monastery nearly 1000 years old, perched half way up the mountain and sheltered by its peaks. There is a basilica with the Chapel of Our Lady of Montserrat known as La Moreneta, the patron saint of Catalonia, and a presence strongly felt and revered. The community of monks also runs a boys’ school devoted to the study of music.
Montserrat is culture: a library of nearly 300,000 volumes; the oldest boys’ choir in Europe; a basilica full of paintings, gold lamps and decorated chapels, a museum with paintings by El Greco, Picasso and Dalí among many others and treasures from ancient Egypt.
- Departure: Daily except Sundays, at 3 pm from Pl. Catalunya opposite Tourist Office, in front Deutsche Bank & Hotel Olivia Plaza. All year round except Dec 25 & 26 and Jan 1 & 6
- Duration: 4 h aprox.
- Price: € 49/adult, € 25/child (3-12)
- Guides: Officially-licensed, English-speaking local experts who love their job.
- Transport: Comfortable air-conditioned bus.
- Itinerary: Barcelona > Parc Natural de Montserrat > Sanctuary (Monastery, Basilica, Chapel of Our Lady) > Free time > return to Barcelona
The visit to Montserrat is accessible, but the transport is not.
Tags: Montserrat, Moutain, moreneta, basílica, outside barcelona, close to barcelona, patron of catalonia